Unsubscribe information of an Email.
Updated: Jan 16, 2019
Basically there are 3 types of Unsubscribes:
1. Global Unsubscribe: Onclick of this will send an email to Exacttarget, Then SFMC with store the senders email and will not let any emails go to him from SFMC.
2. Master Unsubscribe: Onclick of this will never subscribers receive any emails from the Account as it is marked as Unsubscribed in all ‘Publication lists’.
3. List Unsubscribe: This will mark as ‘Unsubscribed’ to only that particular list.So the Emails sent from that list will exclude the ones who has unsubscribed(also called Exclusion List).
How can we build this process?
On the ‘Unsubscribe’ link below the email ,we can customize this process through Cloud pages or SmartCapture(A feature built on Landing page) or by our own custom Webpage.
We can write a corresponding logic behind the page through GTL or AMPSCRIPT. There is a logic for each of the above categories.
Through Landing page:
1. Create the Landing Page to utilize for the Subscription Center
2. Select one of the content areas on that landing page and click Create Content
3. In the Orientation window, select Smart Capture
4. In the Define Form Processing window, select the subscriber list from which you want the Smart Capture form to unsubscribe subscribers and click the Next button
5. Select the content area properties to use and click the Next button
6. In the Email Address field, type in the personalization string %%emailaddr%%. This string automatically populates the email address of the subscriber.
7. Insert or remove any additional fields, text, or images you would (not) like to appear on this page
8. Click the Save button
You can find the above option under Email Studio | Email | Content | My Landing Pages
NOTE: If you are using Landing Pages from the CloudPages app, which is the newer and more advanced version, the form actions related above are unfortunately not available in this version. To create a custom unsubscribe page, you can instead use Web Collect. Below is the documentation link for the option. It includes sample code to create an unsubscribe page:
First : Unsubscribe link is a mandatory link. You cannot eliminate it but you can hide it. This is one of the options:
<span style="display:none;"><a href="%%unsub_center_url%%"></a></span>
Second : Use the subscriber ID and email address in the email template you generate. You can use them in the AMPscript part of the email html. You can use them to build a URL to the new page.
%%[SET @clientkey = [_subscriberkey] ]%%
%%[SET @clientemail = [emailaddr] ]%%
%%[SET @clientkeyencoded = URLencode(@clientkey,1,1) ]%%
%%[SET @clientemailencoded = URLencode(@clientemail,1,1) ]%%
%%[SET @URLunsubscribe = Concat("www.something.com/?firstparameter=",@clientkeyencoded,"&secondparameter="@clientemailencoded")
Once you have built the URL you can use it like this in the HTML of the email template. href="%%=v(@URLunsubscribe)=%%
Do we need to Build this logic to all the emails what we send from SFMC?
No, we don’t need to build this for all the emails we send. On SFMC there is a Feature called ‘Send Classifications’ and according to U.S. Federal CAN-SPAM Act. They classified emails into two types and any email while building you have to give the Send Classifications .
1. Commercial : It is very much important to give the ‘unsubscribe link’ else email sending will fail.
2. Transactional : These are like transactional messages where you don’t need give the ‘unsubscribe link’.